Chocolate shops get ready for holiday rush
Friday, December 09, 2011
HAMILTON TWP., N.J. - December 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- Candy shops are very busy at this time of year with shoppers looking for tasty Christmas gifts.
The shelves are packed at Carella's Chocolates on Nottingham Way in Hamilton, ready for the frenzy of chocolate buying that begins this time of year. "We sell a lot of candy for gifts here," said Connie Dalton. "It's a wonderful thing, it tastes delicious and it's affordable."
"It's delicious; all kinds of nuts, fruits and all that stuff," said Loretta Krzywulak. Easter is the biggest holiday for the family-run store, but Christmas keeps Joan Carella plenty busy making the chocolate Santa pops, angels and other holiday treats that customers devour. It all starts with a 10 pound block of chocolate that's imported from Holland. It goes into the melting kettle for a couple hours, and then they're ready to go. The chocolate has to be 87 degrees to make it perfect for pouring. The molds are filled on a shaker table to make sure there are no air pockets. One of Joan's most popular creations is her chocolate Christmas tree which is carefully assembled using more chocolate to hold it together. "We do dark, we do white and we do milk, which is the most popular," said Joan Carella, "but dark is getting more popular." "We have people that call from all over to get it that used to live here, know our chocolate and they call, and we ship it to them.," said Susan Carella. But most folks are like Ed Woolf of Trenton, who likes to pick out his wife's holiday chocolates in person. "I was looking for the nonpareils probably that she enjoys, so we'll do that. We won't tell. It'll still be a surprise," said Ed Woolf. For over 30 years, Carella's has been satisfying the sweet tooth of area residents, and like chocolate shops everywhere, they are ready for the Christmas rush.
(Copyright ©2014 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
christmas, holidays, shopping, new jersey, local/state, nora muchanic
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos