Fire destroys 120-year-old Monmouth Co. home
LITTLE SILVER, N.J. (AP) - December 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- Officials in Monmouth County say some candles placed behind a kitchen sink caused a fire that destroyed a 120-year-old home.
The Saturday afternoon blaze prompted fire personnel to block off several streets in the upscale neighborhood in Little Silver, on the Shrewsbury River.
Borough Police Chief Daniel Shaffrey tells The Asbury Park Press that the fire began at about 1:30 p.m. when the candles ignited some curtains. As the flames spread, a teenage resident called 911.
Two family members and two housekeepers escaped. No injuries were reported. Shaffrey said the family was preparing for a Christmas party Saturday evening.
The blaze was put under control by 5 p.m., but reignited later Saturday night and forced firefighters to return to the scene at 11 p.m.
new jersey, monmouth county, fire, local/state
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 41 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
41 min ago