Fire destroys 120-year-old Monmouth Co. home

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Officials in Monmouth County say some candles placed behind a kitchen sink caused a fire that destroyed a 120-year-old home.

The Saturday afternoon blaze prompted fire personnel to block off several streets in the upscale neighborhood in Little Silver, on the Shrewsbury River.

Borough Police Chief Daniel Shaffrey tells The Asbury Park Press that the fire began at about 1:30 p.m. when the candles ignited some curtains. As the flames spread, a teenage resident called 911.

Two family members and two housekeepers escaped. No injuries were reported. Shaffrey said the family was preparing for a Christmas party Saturday evening.

The blaze was put under control by 5 p.m., but reignited later Saturday night and forced firefighters to return to the scene at 11 p.m.

(Copyright ©2014 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more Local/State »

new jersey, monmouth county, fire, local/state
blog comments powered by Disqus