Funeral arrangements set for Cardinal John Foley
DARBY, Pa. - December 12, 2011 (WPVI) -- Funeral arrangements have been set for Roman Catholic Cardinal John Foley, a native of the Philadelphia area who died over the weekend.
The Archdiocese of Philadelphia says Foley's body will lie in state Thursday at St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Wynnewood. A Mass will be celebrated Thursday evening.
On Friday morning, Foley's body will lie in state at the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul in Philadelphia. Church officials say a funeral Mass will be held Friday afternoon at the cathedral.
Foley died Sunday of undisclosed causes at a residence for priests in Darby, the Philadelphia suburb where he was born 76 years ago.
In addition to many other duties, Foley for 25 years narrated the Vatican's Christmas Midnight Mass for the American TV audience.
Here are the full arrangements as released by the Archdiocese:
Thursday, December 15, 2011
Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary, Overbrook
100 East Wynnewood Road
Wynnewood, PA 19096 (Montgomery County)
9:00 a.m.: Transfer of the Body in the main lobby of Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary. Reception of the Body followed by Midmorning Prayer in the Chapel of Saint Martin of Tours.
Following Midmorning Prayer Cardinal Foley's body will lie in state for public viewing in the Chapel of Saint Martin of Tours.
7:00 p.m.: Mass celebrated by Most Reverend Daniel E. Thomas, Auxiliary Bishop of Philadelphia. Following Mass the Chapel will be closed.
Friday, December 16, 2011
Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul
18th Street and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19103
9:15 a.m. (approximately): Funeral motorcade departs Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary en route to the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul.
10:00 a.m.: Reception of the Body in the Cathedral Basilica followed by Midmorning Prayer.
Following Midmorning Prayer Cardinal Foley's body will lie in state for public viewing in the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul until 1:30 p.m.
2:00 p.m.: Solemn Funeral Mass for Cardinal Foley followed by the Rite of Committal in the Cathedral Crypt (located below the main altar).
pennsylvania, delaware county, upper darby, philadelphia archdiocese, cancer, local/state
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing 45 min ago
- One Fine Friday 50 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- 2 injured in head-on crash along MLK Drive
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey 30 min ago
- Police: Pa. woman served family poison laced burritos 26 min ago
- Wife hid murdered husband, prosecutors say
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 60 hospitalized
- Driver, passenger hurt in Cheltenham Township crash
- Woman critically injured in Radnor Township house fire
- 3 sought for robbery of 15-year-old
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make...
45 min ago
- One Fine Friday
50 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos