Officer shoots Allentown student with Taser
ALLENTOWN - December 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- Legal action is being taken against a police officer accused of using excessive force.
Surveillance video shows the dramatic moment as an Allentown police officer pulled out his Taser and used it on 14-year-old Keshana Wilson in September.
The Dieruff High School freshman was walking out of the school with friends when she encountered the officer who was reportedly responding to a disorderly conduct call.
Keshana's mother Victoria Geist told Action News that Officer Jason Ammary said her daughter was disobeying his commands when he ordered students to get onto the sidewalk.
Seconds later, the video shows some type of scuffle, the officer pulls back, Keshana throws her hands in the air, and he fires the Taser probes into her groin and stomach.
"I just couldn't imagine why he felt the need to do that," Geist said.
Geist's attorney, Richard J. Orloski, filed a federal lawsuit last week claiming excessive force against the honor student who has a good record.
"Before you use a Taser, it seems to me, you have to recognize that you're essentially employing lethal force and you're risking somebody's life," Orloski said.
There has been an ongoing national debate about the use of Tasers by officers.
Geist says in this case, it definitely wasn't needed.
"I don't feel it's necessary to use force like that on a child, especially when they are defenseless," Geist said.
Keshana was taken to the hospital to have the Taser barbs removed.
She returned to school after being locked up 21 days.
The felony charges against her have been dropped.
The city has not commented about the incident or the lawsuit.
pennsylvania, allentown, taser, police, lehigh county, local/state, kenneth moton
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Video: Obama misspells "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" in Aretha... 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
42 min ago