Archbishop Wood AAA State Champs
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
WARMINISTER, Pa. - December 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Archbishop Wood High School football team won its divisional state championship over the weekend.
<!--PUT YOUR BODY TEXT BELOW THIS LINE - ALL PARAGRAPHS MUST BE INSIDE
ANDMARKS--> They clobbered their opponent 52 to 0.
"We had one main focus the whole season, and we worked really hard to to accomplish our goal," said Desmon Peoples. And that goal was attained on Friday night when the Archbishop Wood High School Football Team defeated Harrisburg's Bishop McDevitt to win the Pennsylvania Class Triple-A State championship. Head Coach Steve Devlin could not be prouder. "A lot of hard work went into this, and it just all came together Friday night," said Head Coach Steve Devlin. And that could be the understatement of the year. The entire school gathered inside the auditorium Wednesday afternoon for the awards ceremony to celebrate the Vikings' 52-0 shellacking of McDevitt for the state title. It will go down as the most lop-sided victory in Pennsylvania high school football championship history. In fact, nearly the entire season was lop-sided. In the end, Archbishop Wood outscored their opponents 699-122, included five shut-outs! The players say it's a special team led by a special coach. "Without Coach Devlin this doesn't run, the machine doesn't move, and it trickles down to the great assistant coaches to great players," said senior tight end Colin Thompson. "We have great leadership on our team with a great group of people, so it is an awesome place to be." <<Devlin>>> "From last year when we lost in the state semi-finals, kids in the locker room stood up as juniors and said they were going to win it for the seniors that low, and it was a goal for them." "Over the years, Archbishop Wood has won more Catholic League titles and more PIAA District 12 titles, but this is the first state championship in school history. Coach Devlin said it is the best Christmas present ever! <!--Find out about Breaking News as it happens. Sign up for 6abc.com Breaking News Alerts.
(Copyright ©2014 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
pennsylvania, local/state, walter perez
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 39 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound 9 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications 58 min ago
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved 51 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Building under demolition collapses in Old...
39 min ago
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
37 min ago
6abc.com News Links