Archbishop Wood AAA State Champs
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
WARMINISTER, Pa. - December 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Archbishop Wood High School football team won its divisional state championship over the weekend.
<!--PUT YOUR BODY TEXT BELOW THIS LINE - ALL PARAGRAPHS MUST BE INSIDE
ANDMARKS--> They clobbered their opponent 52 to 0.
"We had one main focus the whole season, and we worked really hard to to accomplish our goal," said Desmon Peoples. And that goal was attained on Friday night when the Archbishop Wood High School Football Team defeated Harrisburg's Bishop McDevitt to win the Pennsylvania Class Triple-A State championship. Head Coach Steve Devlin could not be prouder. "A lot of hard work went into this, and it just all came together Friday night," said Head Coach Steve Devlin. And that could be the understatement of the year. The entire school gathered inside the auditorium Wednesday afternoon for the awards ceremony to celebrate the Vikings' 52-0 shellacking of McDevitt for the state title. It will go down as the most lop-sided victory in Pennsylvania high school football championship history. In fact, nearly the entire season was lop-sided. In the end, Archbishop Wood outscored their opponents 699-122, included five shut-outs! The players say it's a special team led by a special coach. "Without Coach Devlin this doesn't run, the machine doesn't move, and it trickles down to the great assistant coaches to great players," said senior tight end Colin Thompson. "We have great leadership on our team with a great group of people, so it is an awesome place to be." <<Devlin>>> "From last year when we lost in the state semi-finals, kids in the locker room stood up as juniors and said they were going to win it for the seniors that low, and it was a goal for them." "Over the years, Archbishop Wood has won more Catholic League titles and more PIAA District 12 titles, but this is the first state championship in school history. Coach Devlin said it is the best Christmas present ever! <!--Find out about Breaking News as it happens. Sign up for 6abc.com Breaking News Alerts.
(Copyright ©2013 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
pennsylvania, local/state, walter perez
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- AccuWeather: Damp and cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect 24 min ago
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- Water main break forces evacuation of Fishtown bar
- Bicyclist struck in Kensington DUI crash
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges
- Probe into Conn. train crash giving way to cleanup
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- American Cancer Society celebrates 100 years 18 min ago
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list
6abc.com News Links