2nd grader gets special holiday surprise
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
WILMINGTON, Del. - December 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- A young boy gets the surprise of his life as his father comes home from Iraq. It was a gift better than any toy.
Ben Cura's 2nd grade class had their annual Christmas party Wednesday, but what Ben didn't know was that he was going to receive a huge Christmas surprise. "Every year we go over my Grandma's house," said Ben Cura. "My whole dad's side of the family has dinner, and we watch a movie."
Ben and the other 2nd graders thought they were going to hear about each other's Christmas traditions. Then suddenly, in the middle of their interview, Ben's dad walks into the classroom. "It's wonderful to be home, and the great support that we've had from everyone has been wonderful," said Ben's dad. "This is such a special prize," said Ben's teacher Nancy Hackendorn. "I've been holding it all day. It is a special gift. The Christmas party continued, but father and son had lots to talk about, especially Ben's pair of new teeth. It wasn't long before Ben had to share his dad with the rest of the school, who was eager to honor him. Captain Tim Cura, an Army Reserve pilot in the 228th battalion, recently ended his third tour of duty in Balad, Iraq. "This is what Christmas is all about, family," said reading teacher Sharon Nugent. "Just the look on Ben's face is priceless." The Cura family will be spending Christmas together; Ben, his dad, little sister Haley, and his mom Erica. "Definitely an overwhelming day," said Erica Cura.
(Copyright ©2014 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
u.s. army, holidays, christmas, wilmington, delaware, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
6abc.com News Links