Man struck and killed by train in Delaware County
SHARON HILL, Pa. - December 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- A middle-aged man was killed early Thursday afternoon after being struck by an Amtrak Acela train.
The incident happened around 12:45 p.m. along the tracks in Sharon Hill, near Sharon Avenue.
Police say the man was walking south along fence line that runs along the train tracks when the high-speed Acela train came through.
Police believe the man had nowhere to go and was struck and killed. They believe the death was an accident, and that the man was not intending to hurt himself.
Train traffic was shut down in both directions as authorities investigated.
Find out about Breaking News as it happens. Sign up for 6abc.com Breaking News Alerts.
train accident, delaware county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Steamy Situation 58 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Hats get women ejected from King of Prussia Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Young and Howard lift Phillies over Marlins
- Video: Philly's new skateboard park opens
- Kellie Pickler named new DWTS champ 46 min ago