Zero shopping days till Christmas
Saturday, December 24, 2011
PLYMOUTH MEETING, Pa. - December 24, 2011 (WPVI) -- Christmas countdown leaves shoppers with mere hours to complete their gift buying.
Many stores closed early after a flurry of last minute shopping. Shopping centers had an early morning Christmas Eve rush.
While some businesses are still going, many closed their doors at 6:00pm causing those last minute shoppers to put some pep in their step. "Last hour left. Trying to get in get out, that's it," said Shamika Winters. Because of big discounts, holiday retail sales are expected to jump nearly 4% this year. Overnight, shoppers took advantage of extended hours at businesses in Cherry Hill, New Jersey. "It's kind of fun and the prices are a little bit better than they were before," said Pat Porter. Two hours before Plymouth Meeting Mall closed Saturday night, crowds were light as people looked for presents. "Everybody is ready to go home and eat, get the kids ready for Santa tomorrow," said Miller. There was also a familiar trend on the day before Christmas; there were a lot of guys out shopping, including Mason, whose dad was helping him shop for mom. "Last year, we got her a pearl necklace, and that was really nice," said Mason. It wasn't all hard work for the men; moms shopped while dads watched the kids play. "It's really easy because I just have to watch her," said Jason Huber. Whatever it takes to get it done, which was the general consensus for most people moving about with their last minute lists.
(Copyright ©2014 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
christmas, holidays, shopping, pennsylvania, local/state, kenneth moton
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif.
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
6abc.com News Links