Post-Holiday shoppers out in force
PHILADELPHIA - December 26, 2011 (WPVI) -- It was a busy day across the region. Shoppers were out early looking for post-Christmas bargain.
The National Retail Federation says $41billion worth of gift cards have not been redeemed since 2005.
But judging by the large crowds at the malls across the area, shoppers were out in force he day after Christmas making sure this year's Christmas gifts don't go unused.
"Shopping is real awesome today," said Michelle Starks. "Good deals, good deals."
Retailers had their signs displayed front and center, trying to lure shoppers. But were the slashed prices worth it?
It depends whom you ask.
"I'm seeing signs 70, 80, 90% off yeah, but it's off of certain items not the good stuff," said Ebony Leavy.
Others see the 70 and 80% discounts as really nice deals.
"I'm just spending the Christmas money I got," said Bobby Tieto.
Still others were looking to return items and find that gift on Santa's list that didn't make it under the tree.
"I shop a little bit now, and I actually bring receipts back to get price adjustments," said Devonna Starks.
The crowds seemed moderate, but nowhere near those of Black Friday.
Shoppers could stroll along, moving in and out of stores with little resistance, though some of the more popular retailers seemed busier than others.
"It really hasn't been that crowded; not where people have been knocking you down. It's been real comfortable shopping," said Michelle Starks."
christmas, holidays, shopping, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state, chad pradelli
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote 23 min ago
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos