Philadelphia police shoot & kill armed suspect
Wednesday, December 28, 2011
STRAWBERRY MANSION - December 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia police officer has shot and killed a suspect in Strawberry Mansion.
Police say they received a number of calls around 11:45 p.m. Tuesday about a man shooting in the area of the 1900 block of North 27th Street. A witness told arriving officers that a man was shooting behind a home on the 2600 block of West Berks Street. Police went to the back of a home there and found the man crouching and armed with a Tech 9 assault gun.
The gunman then allegedly pointed his weapon at officers, refusing to drop the gun. One officer fired his weapon twice, striking the man in the head, killing him. It was found that the man's assault gun was loaded with 23 rounds and one in the chamber. In the walkway to the back of the home was five fired casing that matched to his gun. Police Internal Affairs is investigating the incident.
(Copyright ©2014 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
shooting, police, strawberry mansion, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight 2 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
6abc.com News Links