Police ID armed man fatally shot by Philly officer
PHILADELPHIA - December 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police have identified a man they say pointed an assault weapon at two officers before he was fatally shot by one of them.
Lt. Ray Evers, a police spokesman, says 30-year-old Ameen Davis was shot once in the head around 11:40 p.m. Tuesday in north Philadelphia after he aimed the weapon at two officers on patrol.
Evers says the officers were responding to a report of shots being fired in the area. He says Davis pointed the weapon at them and did not drop it when asked to do so.
Investigators say Davis did not fire at the officers, but that cartridge cases recovered from the scene came from his weapon.
The shooting is under investigation and the officer who fired the fatal shot is on modified duty.
shooting, police, strawberry mansion, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 27 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa 47 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom