Twice the fireworks to welcome 2012
PENN'S LANDING - December 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- We are now just days away from a New Year's Eve celebration that will light up the sky. Fireworks along the Delaware River will mark the end of 2011 and the start of 2012.
Technicians from Pyrotecnico one of the largest producers of fireworks in America were busy today on a barge at the Navy Yard. They were filling shells and wiring the explosives, a three day painstaking job, but the result will be spectacular.
Fireworks will light up the night sky on New Year's Eve fired from three barges in the Delaware. For spectators, the best viewing spots will be along Penn's Landing and Wiggins Park in Camden.
Once again this year there will be two shows, one at 6:00 p.m. called 'Wishing You a Philadelphia New Year' and one at midnight called 'Party on the Delaware.'
"At 6:00 p.m. we're doing a fantastic salute to the Philadelphia Orchestra, all of their greatest hits...and at midnight we are going to party into the new year with some of the greatest hits of the past year," Jodie Milkman of the Delaware River Waterfront Corporation said.
Pyrotecnico is headquartered in western Pennsylvania, but the displays are built in Vineland, New Jersey.
"Yesterday, we prepped all the racks, got them nailed up, today we're just putting shells in place, lining them up to the module, which will then be wired to the computer," John Romano of Pyrotecnico said.
From there the computer takes over, programmed to synchronize the bursts of color and noise with the music.
The fireworks entertainment is called 'Twice the Fireworks, Twice the Fun' and is presented by Sugarhouse Casino.
"This is the first year we're also the presenting sponsor of the Mummers Parade on Sunday. We're a casino, this is a big party weekend. We said 'if we can't do this weekend right, what good are we?'" Wendy Hamilton of the Sugarhouse Casino said.
What better way to ring in the New Year than with fireworks?
Again, visitors to this region will have two opportunities one at 6 and one at midnight.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, fireworks, new year's, local/state
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 38 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014