2012 gets a big welcome at Penn's Landing
PHILADELPHIA - December 31, 2011 (WPVI) -- People packed into Penn's Landing to help welcome 2012!
It was twice the fireworks and twice the fun along the Delaware River. In both Philadelphia and Camden, families got into position to watch the fireworks - one show was at 6:00 p.m. with another show at the stroke of midnight.
"Normally we do the party thing, but this year we want to go a little low and bring the kids out here and show them a good time, show them how people like to celebrate New Year's," said Jim McMullen of Northeast Philadelphia.
For those who didn't want to be out in the cold, an RV was the way to go - not only were they warmer, but they were stocked with food!
"I spent all morning cooking and peparing for this evening and it was well worth it," said Bernadette Rogers of Charlestown Township, Pa.
It seemed no one was sad to see 2011 go, because they were optimistic about what's to come.
When asked what 2012 was going to be like for him, Carl Smith of Coatesville said "Outstanding, outstanding. Just getting better."
Some people had big plans for the new year.
"I have a lot of new year's resolutions that I'm looking forward to," said Emily Mooney of Drexel Hill. "I really need to be more organized."
Of course, the celebration wasn't limited to Penn's Landing. It was a busy night in Old City as people hit the bars, clubs and restaurants.
"It's awesome, I love the atmosphere here and that's why we came," said Markita Kennedy of Baltimore. "This is a good place."
pennsylvania, new year's, philadelphia, local/state
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 53 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Deadly hit and run suspect van caught on camera 3 min ago
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Fairy Godmothers make prom dreams come true
26 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
53 min ago