Local school aims for change with new location
WHITEMARSH TWP., Pa. - January 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- A few hundred people stood together outside on a blistering cold Tuesday morning, to share a very proud moment.
The Academy in Manayunk, known as AIM, now located in Whitemarsh Township. It's a non-profit teaching facility for children with learning disabilities.
The board chairman recollected on his own learning troubles.
"I struggled with dyslexia my whole entire life and as a board chair it's a real honor to be here with each and every one of the kids," said Matt Naylor.
AIM has more than doubled its space with the opening of the new building on River Road.
Donations and grants helped pay for the $3 million renovation on land that was once an old mill.
Parents say they couldn't be happier with the results.
"The move here has been incredible. It's a great facility, great programming and it's all research-based," said Page Buck.
The environment at AIM is extremely colorful but the more important thing is the visual and hands on learning experience.
AIM says its hands-on teaching philosophy has done wonders for students like Jake Villari.
He struggled with auditory processing disorder, now, he is getting scholarship offers from colleges.
"When we're learning about nature we'll go and look at the trees, and flowers to see them and figure out how they correlate," said Villari.
His parents agree and are well pleased with his improvement.
"If you want to talk just bottom line, he went from C grades to a 3.7 grade point average and no more fighting about homework," said Peter Villari.
AIM hopes to grow even more, including adding athletic fields to its campus along the Schuylkill River, coming a long way from its beginning six years ago.
pennsylvania, school, local/state, matt o'donnell
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 32 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean 58 min ago
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash 23 min ago
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies 31 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
50 min ago
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila....
32 min ago
- Man mistaken for dead passes away
28 min ago