Teaching the science of food
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - January 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Any parent is thrilled when a child asks how something works. It's what educators call a teachable moment.
Since everyone eats, and we spend a lot of family time in the kitchen, thhe Franklin Institute has added an educational twist to its in-house restaurant, the Franklin Foodworks.
Longtime Philly chef and caterer Steve Poses runs the restaurant.
On occasion, Poses also does something he'd never done before, taking a group of kids aside and explaining the science behind what they eat.
On our recent visit, he explained mayonnaise. You've heard the old saying that oil and water don't mix, except that in mayonnaise, they do. The reason why is that an egg is added, providing substances that bind to both. So whisked with an egg, oil and water DO mix. Along the way, kids also discover that what you can whisk up in a both in seconds tastes little like what they probably scoop from a jar.
Placards line the walls of the dining area explain the science of food, Parents may also pick up a free brochure explaining all the food science principles.
You can take one home and offer your child a lesson when the time's right.
Admission to the Franklin Foodworks is free, even if you don't buy admission to the museum. It's open weekdays from 11:00am to 3:00pm and weekends until 4:00pm.
franklin institute, children, food, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 12 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 17 min ago
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity 8 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 19 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila. 38 min ago
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia 34 min ago
- Doors smashed in 2 Prices Corner store burglaries
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
12 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
19 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N....
38 min ago