Losing the holiday weight gain
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. -January 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Whatever else you got for the holidays, you may have picked up a spare tire as well.
Experts say the average American puts on ten pounds between Thanksgiving and New year's, thanks to family gatherings, office parties, special treats and more.
It took weeks to "appear". Many people try to make it go away overnight, but your doctor would probably rather see you slim down gradually.
Most experts say a pound a week...two at the most...is a wise goal. And they say a combination of diet and exercise works best, especially if you make the combination a lifestyle change rather than a temporary regimen.
We visited Lithe Method, a fitness center for women, where instructor Melissa Weinberg gave us some tips.
Some workouts offer strength training, or muscle definition, or cardiovascular endurance. Lithe has more than 40 different exercise classes which try to give you all three in each session.
They have three Philadelphia locations offering classes from early morning to late at night.
Fitness centers typically offer group classes, which are great for building motivation and commitment. But for some people, especially beginners, one-on-one time with a personal trainer may be valuable to assess fitness and establish achievable goals.
Like choosing a doctor, each fitness center will have a personality and technique. You'll want to arrange a visit and see if there's chemistry and "fit". Once you get that match, you're likely to remain committed and see the results you desire.
Lithe Method also has a line of clothing and diet strategy to go with the workout. In Philadelphia, they're located at 255 S., 17th street in Center City's medical Arts tower; in Northern Liberties at Liberties Walk, 1030 N. 2nd street; and in Old City at 219 Cuthbert Street, which is off 2nd Street south of Arch. You can learn more on their website, Lithe Method.
exercise, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot while sleeping in South Philadelphia 8 min ago
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos