$15,000 in rewards offered in Old City beating death
PHILADELPHIA - January 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have been scouring the area around the 400 block of Chestnut Street, canvassing for surveillance video that might help lead them to the killers.
There are plenty of video cameras on commercial and government buildings which might show the murderers' vehicle, described as an older maroon or red sedan.
But one investigator complained to Action News today that many of the commercially owned cameras are not working.
The random beating death of 23-year-old Kevin Kless in one of the city's key tourist areas, the Old City club scene, is a major trauma.
The city has posted a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrests and convictions. The Fraternal Order of Police has now posted $5,000 more.
"This is just something that shouldn't have happened; it's not the face of the city. The police, the cops in homicide, the detectives, we all need getting these people off the street," FOP President John McNesby said.
Police say around 2:25 a.m. Saturday, Kless was walking in the 400 block of Chestnut with his girlfriend and a second woman trying to hail a taxi.
Kless had a negative exchange with a cab driver. Then, police think, men in a car behind the taxi may have said something inappropriate to one of the two women with Kless.
Police theorize his verbal response may have triggered the deadly attack.
His grieving friends are demanding justice.
"They need to be tried and they need to rot in jail for the rest of their lives," Owen McDaniel said.
Police have revised their description of the suspects saying now they are looking for four Hispanic males in their early 20's, not Middle Easterners as stated before.
The suspects are described by police as:
Suspect #1: Light complected male, possibly Hispanic, 20 years-of-age, 5-10", thin build, wearing a white shirt with blue stripes.
Suspect #2: Light complected male, possibly Hispanic, 20 years-of-age, 6'0", medium build, maroon shirt.
Suspect #3: Light complected male, possibly Hispanic, 6'2", no further information.
Suspect #4: Light complected male, possibly Hispanic, no further information.
Police are once again urging the driver of the mystery car to come forward and help himself with the District Attorney. Witnesses say he never took part in the deadly beating.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 215-686-TIPS (8477). Police say if you see these men, do not approach them. Instead, dial 911 immediately.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, old city, beating, homicide, local/state
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight 58 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester 10 min ago
- Van crash leaves 2 men trapped in Center City 49 min ago
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford 11 min ago
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire 14 min ago
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
58 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
13 min ago