Meet the 101-year-old SEPTA rider
PHILADELPHIA - January 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- SEPTA paid tribute to its oldest rider, today. At age 101, Margaret Bringhurst loves to travel and she's been riding SEPTA for more than eight decades.
Margaret's been riding SEPTA free with her Medicare card, but her daughter thought it was about time she had her own senior transit ID card.
"I like anything free. I don't care what it is. Give it to me free. I'll take it," Margaret said.
So SEPTA officials came to the Sunrise Assisted Living Center on Ridge Pike this morning to present her senior card in person.
"On a daily basis we have over 80,000 seniors that take our system and for someone over a hundred years old, I just think that's great," SEPTA General Manager Joe Casey said.
Margaret began taking the train from her home in West Chester to nursing school at Misericordia Hospital in 1929.
Also in 1929, Margaret began making trips to Atlantic City with her girlfriends.
"I like to win money," Margaret said.
She told Action News about growing up on a farm with nine brothers.
"I was a female with nine boys and baby, I could take care of myself," Margaret said.
How did she feel about today's visit?
"Have you ever fainted? That's how I feel," she said.
She said she felt fortunate to be so mobile, but had one question for SEPTA.
"Can I fly free?" Margaret asked.
Margaret turns 102 years old in a few months, but age certainly hasn't slowed her down much.
SEPTA's Senior Transit Program is funded through the state's lottery program. Seniors over age 65 ride for free and pay only a dollar to ride the regional rails.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, SEPTA, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Snow today, heavy at times 43 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm 50 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 35 min ago
- Pa. Lottery experiencing outages due to weather
- Video: David Henry's noon report from Rittenhouse...
- Video: Katherine Scott's noon report from Delaware
- Video: John Rawlins' noon report from E. Norriton
- Video: Nora Muchanic's noon report from Trenton
- Video: Annie McCormick in Mobile 6 on I-76
- 2 corrections officers hurt in Concord Twp. crash
- Arrest made in murder over Beats headphones 8 min ago
- Snow today, heavy at times
43 min ago