Reward grows to $20,000 in Old City killing
PHILADELPHIA - January 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- The reward for information in connection with a brutal killing in the Old City section of Philadelphia has grown to $20,000.
The latest contribution comes from the Citizens Crime Commission, which announced Wednesday morning that it was adding $5,000 to the total. The money is being offered for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the beating death of 23-year-old Kevin Kless.
The City of Philadelphia is offering $10,000 in reward money for information leading to an arrest and conviction. The Fraternal Order of Police is offering $5,000 for information leading to an arrest.
"This is just something that shouldn't have happened; it's not the face of the city. The police, the cops in homicide, the detectives, we all need getting these people off the street," FOP President John McNesby said.
Anyone with information can call Philadelphia Police at at 215-686-TIPS (8477) or the Citizens Crime Commission at 215-546-TIPS (8477).
Police have been scouring the area around the 400 block of Chestnut Street, canvassing for surveillance video that might help lead them to the killers.
There are plenty of video cameras on commercial and government buildings which might show the murderers' vehicle, described as an older maroon or red sedan.
But, as one investigator complained to Action News on Tuesday, many of the commercially owned cameras are not working.
Police say around 2:25 a.m. Saturday Kless was walking in the 400 block of Chestnut with his girlfriend and a second woman trying to hail a taxi.
Kless had a negative exchange with a cab driver. Then, police think, men in a car behind the taxi may have said something inappropriate to one of the two women with Kless.
Police theorize his verbal response may have triggered the deadly attack. His grieving friends are demanding justice.
"They need to be tried and they need to rot in jail for the rest of their lives," Owen McDaniel said.
The suspects are described by police as:
Suspect #1: Light complected male, possibly Hispanic, 20 years-of-age, 5-10", thin build, wearing a white shirt with blue stripes.
Suspect #2: Light complected male, possibly Hispanic, 20 years-of-age, 6'0", medium build, maroon shirt.
Suspect #3: Light complected male, possibly Hispanic, 6'2", no further information.
Suspect #4: Light complected male, possibly Hispanic, no further information.
Police are once again urging the driver of the mystery car to come forward and help himself with the District Attorney.
Witnesses say he never took part in the deadly beating.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, old city, beating, homicide, local/state
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured 39 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's 26 min ago
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 28 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County 15 min ago
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery 30 min ago
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings 59 min ago
- Remembering a wife/mother lost to cancer
41 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not...
26 min ago
- London theater partially collapses; 80...
39 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos