NJ Marine killed in Afghanistan helicopter crash
WOODBRIDGE, N.J. (AP) - January 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- Federal officials say a central New Jersey man was among six Marines killed when their helicopter went down this week in Afghanistan.
The Department of Defense says 25-year-old Cpl. Kevin Reinhard of Woodbridge Township died Thursday while supporting combat operations in the Helmand province.
Reinhard and the other Marines were assigned to Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 363, Marine Aircraft Group 24, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, III Marine Expeditionary Force based in Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.
Family members say Reinhard had enlisted in the Marines in the spring of 2008 and was serving his second tour of duty overseas. He was due to return home to New Jersey in a few weeks.
Reinhard was a 2005 graduate of St. Joseph High School in Metuchen, where he played on the volleyball team.
new jersey, afghanistan, marine corps, helicopter crash, local/state
- Mug shot released of McNabb after DUI arrest 8 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders 25 min ago
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 48 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Frost Advisory Overnight
20 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
48 min ago