Chester-Upland teacher to be at State of the Union
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) - January 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- One of the teachers in a cash-strapped suburban Philadelphia school district who vowed to work for free if the school ran out of money is scheduled to join Michele Obama at the State of the Union address.
WATCH AND CHAT LIVE: Join other 6abc.com viewers tonight at 9 p.m.
The White House says Sara Ferguson will be among the guests in the first lady's box Tuesday night. Ferguson is a literacy and math teacher at Columbus Elementary School in the Chester Upland School District.
Ferguson has taught in the district for 20 years. She's among the teachers who said they would continue working if the long-struggling district ran out of money and was unable to make payroll.
The crisis was averted last week when a federal judge approved $3.2 million in stopgap funding.
state of the union, president barack obama, economy, local/state
- DA's office: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 12 min ago
- Record Warmth! 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia 2 min ago
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard 12 min ago
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua 12 min ago
- 3 rescued after car crashes into Delaware pond 12 min ago
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- DA's office: 4 held in deadly NJ mall...
12 min ago
- Police investigate tire slashings in South...
2 min ago
- Record Warmth!
42 min ago