Chester-Upland teacher to be at State of the Union
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) - January 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- One of the teachers in a cash-strapped suburban Philadelphia school district who vowed to work for free if the school ran out of money is scheduled to join Michele Obama at the State of the Union address.
WATCH AND CHAT LIVE: Join other 6abc.com viewers tonight at 9 p.m.
The White House says Sara Ferguson will be among the guests in the first lady's box Tuesday night. Ferguson is a literacy and math teacher at Columbus Elementary School in the Chester Upland School District.
Ferguson has taught in the district for 20 years. She's among the teachers who said they would continue working if the long-struggling district ran out of money and was unable to make payroll.
The crisis was averted last week when a federal judge approved $3.2 million in stopgap funding.
state of the union, president barack obama, economy, local/state
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run