Chester-Upland teacher to be at State of the Union
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) - January 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- One of the teachers in a cash-strapped suburban Philadelphia school district who vowed to work for free if the school ran out of money is scheduled to join Michele Obama at the State of the Union address.
WATCH AND CHAT LIVE: Join other 6abc.com viewers tonight at 9 p.m.
The White House says Sara Ferguson will be among the guests in the first lady's box Tuesday night. Ferguson is a literacy and math teacher at Columbus Elementary School in the Chester Upland School District.
Ferguson has taught in the district for 20 years. She's among the teachers who said they would continue working if the long-struggling district ran out of money and was unable to make payroll.
The crisis was averted last week when a federal judge approved $3.2 million in stopgap funding.
state of the union, president barack obama, economy, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 2 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken 31 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown 29 min ago
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 51 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos