Corbett to visit Punxsutawney for Groundhog Day
PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. - February 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's always tough to sneak alcohol onto Gobbler's Knob or otherwise misbehave during the annual Groundhog Day festivities in Punxsutawney - but security will be even tighter this year.
Why? Because. Gov. Tom Corbett will be casting his shadow, too, when he attends the event Thursday, about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.
State police tell the Punxsutawney Spirit newspaper that troopers will work with "the governor's security team and ensure that he will have an enjoyable and safe time."
The groundhog known worldwide as Punxsutawney Phil is scheduled to emerge about 7:25 a.m. Thursday. Tradition holds if the animal sees its shadow, winter will last another six weeks. If not, an early Spring is forecast - although it may have already arrived. Thursday's high is forecast to be in the 40s.
Information from: Punxsutawney Spirit, http://www.punxsutawneyspirit.com
gov. tom corbett, groundhog day, pennsylvania, local/state
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)