Corbett to visit Punxsutawney for Groundhog Day
PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. - February 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's always tough to sneak alcohol onto Gobbler's Knob or otherwise misbehave during the annual Groundhog Day festivities in Punxsutawney - but security will be even tighter this year.
Why? Because. Gov. Tom Corbett will be casting his shadow, too, when he attends the event Thursday, about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.
State police tell the Punxsutawney Spirit newspaper that troopers will work with "the governor's security team and ensure that he will have an enjoyable and safe time."
The groundhog known worldwide as Punxsutawney Phil is scheduled to emerge about 7:25 a.m. Thursday. Tradition holds if the animal sees its shadow, winter will last another six weeks. If not, an early Spring is forecast - although it may have already arrived. Thursday's high is forecast to be in the 40s.
Information from: Punxsutawney Spirit, http://www.punxsutawneyspirit.com
gov. tom corbett, groundhog day, pennsylvania, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 55 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound 49 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours 45 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion 53 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila....
55 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
53 min ago
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for...
45 min ago