Corbett to visit Punxsutawney for Groundhog Day
PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. - February 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's always tough to sneak alcohol onto Gobbler's Knob or otherwise misbehave during the annual Groundhog Day festivities in Punxsutawney - but security will be even tighter this year.
Why? Because. Gov. Tom Corbett will be casting his shadow, too, when he attends the event Thursday, about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.
State police tell the Punxsutawney Spirit newspaper that troopers will work with "the governor's security team and ensure that he will have an enjoyable and safe time."
The groundhog known worldwide as Punxsutawney Phil is scheduled to emerge about 7:25 a.m. Thursday. Tradition holds if the animal sees its shadow, winter will last another six weeks. If not, an early Spring is forecast - although it may have already arrived. Thursday's high is forecast to be in the 40s.
Information from: Punxsutawney Spirit, http://www.punxsutawneyspirit.com
gov. tom corbett, groundhog day, pennsylvania, local/state
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 6 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today 55 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- 4 alarm fire burns at motel in Berks County
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno 55 min ago
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 57 min ago
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
6 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos