Husband, wife describe killing of NJ cop
TOMS RIVER, N.J. - February 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Jurors listened Thursday as a Lakewood couple described watching a young man shoot a police officer to death as he sat behind the wheel of his patrol car.
Leonard Scalzo and his wife, Denise, testified they had just gotten home from work and saw Patrolman Christopher Matlosz drive up to a young man near their house. They both described watching the suspect pull out a gun, lean into the patrol car and fire three shots.
The husband identified Jahmell Crockam in court as the shooter. His wife was not asked to identify the defendant.
The 20-year-old is accused of gunning down the 27-year-old officer in 2011.
Crockam's lawyer says police arrested the wrong man and questions the reliability of the witnesses.
new jersey, homicide, ocean county, police officer killed, shooting, local/state
- Faith-healing couple held without bail 53 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco 26 min ago
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- Firing of school official in dog waste incident overturned
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
53 min ago