Husband, wife describe killing of NJ cop
TOMS RIVER, N.J. - February 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Jurors listened Thursday as a Lakewood couple described watching a young man shoot a police officer to death as he sat behind the wheel of his patrol car.
Leonard Scalzo and his wife, Denise, testified they had just gotten home from work and saw Patrolman Christopher Matlosz drive up to a young man near their house. They both described watching the suspect pull out a gun, lean into the patrol car and fire three shots.
The husband identified Jahmell Crockam in court as the shooter. His wife was not asked to identify the defendant.
The 20-year-old is accused of gunning down the 27-year-old officer in 2011.
Crockam's lawyer says police arrested the wrong man and questions the reliability of the witnesses.
new jersey, homicide, ocean county, police officer killed, shooting, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 4 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion 5 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
5 min ago