Apparent suicide on Temple University's campus
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - February 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police and Temple University police are investigating a shooting that occurred on the campus Thursday night.
The incident occurred around 6:30 p.m. along the 1900 block of Liacouras Walk.
Police say a 25-year-old male suffered a fatal self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
Temple officials say the man is not a current temple student, but may have been enrolled at a prior time. Temple is working with Philadelphia police to make proper notification to next of kin.
Authorities say the apparent suicide took place in front of a dozen of other students.
Many Temple students received news of the shooting from the university via text message.
At 7:13 p.m. Temple University tweeted, "Liacouras Walk scene is safe. No danger to university community. Police activity will continue. Avoid the area."
philadelphia, pennsylvania, temple, suicide, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos