Apparent suicide on Temple University's campus
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - February 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police and Temple University police are investigating a shooting that occurred on the campus Thursday night.
The incident occurred around 6:30 p.m. along the 1900 block of Liacouras Walk.
Police say a 25-year-old male suffered a fatal self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
Temple officials say the man is not a current temple student, but may have been enrolled at a prior time. Temple is working with Philadelphia police to make proper notification to next of kin.
Authorities say the apparent suicide took place in front of a dozen of other students.
Many Temple students received news of the shooting from the university via text message.
At 7:13 p.m. Temple University tweeted, "Liacouras Walk scene is safe. No danger to university community. Police activity will continue. Avoid the area."
philadelphia, pennsylvania, temple, suicide, local/state
- Photos: 24 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 26 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 12 min ago
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway 2 min ago
- Road reopens months after Frankford water main break 17 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
12 min ago
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
26 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos