Apparent suicide on Temple University's campus
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - February 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police and Temple University police are investigating a shooting that occurred on the campus Thursday night.
The incident occurred around 6:30 p.m. along the 1900 block of Liacouras Walk.
Police say a 25-year-old male suffered a fatal self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
Temple officials say the man is not a current temple student, but may have been enrolled at a prior time. Temple is working with Philadelphia police to make proper notification to next of kin.
Authorities say the apparent suicide took place in front of a dozen of other students.
Many Temple students received news of the shooting from the university via text message.
At 7:13 p.m. Temple University tweeted, "Liacouras Walk scene is safe. No danger to university community. Police activity will continue. Avoid the area."
philadelphia, pennsylvania, temple, suicide, local/state
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking 55 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor 1 min ago
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
55 min ago
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova...
1 min ago