NJ family notices fire while watching Super Bowl
MARGATE, N.J. - February 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- It was a close call for a family of New York Giants fans in Margate, New Jersey.
Police say the family, who has lived in the home for 50 years, was watching the final play of the Super Bowl when they saw smoke emanating from the electrical outlets and heating vents.
The family called 911 and exited the home.
The fire department arrived. As the fire grew, firefighters called for a second and third alarm.
It took the fire department hours to get the blaze under control.
The fire department says the cause of the fire is accidental.
The deputy fire chief says that the family had a fire burning in the fireplace all day. Underneath the fireplace was a cinder box.
The fire department said the cinder box got too hot and ignited a crawl space.
One firefighter from Northfield Fire Department was transported to the hospital with an ankle injury.
There were no other injuries.
The home has extensive damage.
fire, margate, new jersey, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 31 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County 51 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 44 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 46 min ago
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
42 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
31 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun...
46 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
51 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos