Police: Drunk driver's crash caused power surge
WEST NORRITON, Pa. - February 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- Some residents in the 100 block of Clemens Circle in West Norriton say it was about 1:30 a.m. Monday that they were awaken by a disturbing noise.
"We heard a pop and you could actually visibly hear almost like a little explosion," resident Al Barth said.
Worse, Melissa Miller in the unit block of Galbraith could smell something burnt.
"I could smell burnt plastic and rubber and I looked at the wall, it just caught the center of my eye, I just saw the wall all charred up and I called PECO and the fire department to make sure that my house wasn't going to catch fire," Miller said.
Fortunately, for Miller, she had a surge protector on her circuit box that protected everything in her home. But others without such protectors lost a number of appliances.
"We lost our dishwasher, we lost our oven, the GFI downstairs is pretty burnt and it was pretty scary," resident Rob Snyder said.
Al Barth lost two flat screen TVs and DiLeo's Auto Service lost its computer system for its gas pumps
"We need power supply parts and some of that stuff isn't really in stock cause it's not a common thing to really go bad," Bob Novey of DiLeo's Auto Service said.
What they did not know at the time is that according to West Norriton Police, the surge was caused when the driver of a 2009 Chevy Impala crashed into a power pole at the intersection of Burnside and Chestnut avenues.
Police later charged 36-year-old Eric Gutowski of Norristown with DUI and related offenses.
The obvious question is who do people who lost items because of the surge turn to now to try and get reimbursement?
The short answer is to contact PECO either on line or by phone requesting to file a claim.
"Depending on the cause of the surge will depend on whether or not PECO is liable to compensate the customer. If it's something that's out of PECO's control, the company would not be liable, but we will help the customer to identify the liable party," PECO spokesman Bob Armstrong said.
And for future reference, it may also be a good idea to invest in power surge protectors just in case.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, DUI, local/state, dann cuellar
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J. 9 min ago
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering 16 min ago
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft 49 min ago
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle 23 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in...
9 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos