Celebrating Valentine's Day
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - February 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Valentine's Day celebrates love, and for most people, what to do is pretty obvious. But, especially if you're in a new relationship, one misstep could send your special someone packing. For example, which flowers to send?
Long-stem red roses are in demand on Valentine's Day, but understand that red means "I love you". If that's what you intend to say and you've been in a relationship long enough that it's appropriate, by all means, go ahead. But for a couple just starting out, yellow blooms, which mean "friendship", are usually the better choice.
Pink carries some indication of love but also youth and energy. White means purity and innocence.
For more Valentine's Day advice, we contacted dating specialist Susan Morrison at "It's Just Lunch", a dating service aimed mainly at busy professionals.
Their first-meeting dates are always time-limited, perhaps lunch or an after-work drink...even just a quick cup of coffee. That breaks the ice.
Morrison says she encourages clients who want to explore further to find an activity both people enjoy, and let that "star", rather than either person.
Participating in something mutually enjoyable allows a forum to get to know the other person without creating undue pressure.
Morrison also suggests that people who have advanced to a committed relationship need to do more to express their feelings, but that need not be complicated or expensive.
In a time when people send text messages and communicate via social media, she recommends a simple hand-written note honoring that special someone and expressing your feelings.
The fact that you take time to write makes it personal, and special. While there are common-sense rules for starting a relationship, there's no reason to stop expressing your feelings. Even couples married for decades should be declaring their feelings and doing little things for one another. It can only make things better!
For information about It's Just Lunch, visit them online or phone 1-800-489-7897. You will be directed to a representative near you.
valentine's day, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 56 min ago
- 1 person injured in Hamilton Twp. house fire
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos