Gladwyne couple's love lives on
GLADWYNE, Pa. - February 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- This Valentine's Day would have been the 61st as a married couple for Dr. Daniel and Elaine Lewis.
But two weeks ago their bodies did give up and maybe their will to live.
Elaine passed on a Monday. Three days later Daniel died.
"I think they both imagined they couldn't live without one another," daughter Deborah Meloni said.
93-year-old Daniel had been gravely ill for nearly two years.
In June, 89-year-old Elaine suffered a stroke.
A question lingers" did Daniel give up after "Sweetie" (as he called her) passed?
Daughter, Susan, says when she told her bedridden father that her mother had died, he closed his eyes and didn't say a word. It was the beginning of the end.
"The interesting thing to me is not that they died so close together, but that they held on for so long for the other," daughter Susan Lewis said.
The couple passed away at their Gladwyne home.
They moved here in 1965.
Daniel liked to garden and do yard work. Elaine liked to paint. They had different interests, but they had a love and a deep commitment for one another and their family.
"It's sad, but they had a long happy life in that home and we were fortunate enough to be there and help take care of them," Meloni said.
And they are a reminder of what this day means.
"If there is a day that you think about the people in your life who are important to you and maybe you tell them, they're important to you, whether they are your boyfriend or girlfriend, your spouse, your sister, or your kids. That to me seems like a holiday worth celebrating," Lewis said.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, valentine's day, local/state, chad pradelli
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings
- Showers, thunderstorms today 55 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Allentown fire crews find body in burned apartment
- Driver injured in crash involving Delaware fire chief
- NJ man accused of defrauding FEMA 44 min ago
- Cicadas arriving in NJ in time for holiday weekend 39 min ago
- Jose Canseco accused of sexual assault in Vegas
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recovery
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Finding the perfect bra