2 suspicious packages force evacuations in Wilmington
WILMINGTON, Del. - February 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Suspicious packages were found in two unrelated incidents in Wilmington forcing the evacuation of three buildings Friday.
The first incident began when an ING Direct employee became ill after coming in contact with a package at the post office shortly after 8:30 a.m.
Teams from the Wilmington Fire Department, the Office of Emergency Management, the FBI and the Postal Inspector's Office responded to the scene.
Officials evacuated both the office buildings in the 800 block of Delaware Avenue and the post office three blocks away.
After several hours, the Department of Natural Resources Emergency Response team determined that the package contained some kind of food product and was not a threat.
The sick employee was taken to Christiana Hospital for treatment but police say the worker's condition appears unrelated to the package.
The all-clear was given and workers were allowed back in to both buildings.
The second package was found at the MET LIFE building on the 600 block of King Street around 10:30 a.m.
An employee discovered the package in the mailroom and used an x-ray to see what was inside. The employee thought the contents seemed consistent with that of an explosive device and the police were immediately notified.
The building was evacuated but after further investigation, it was determined that the package was not a threat but a jewelry making kit.
No injuries were reported and the situation was placed under control around 12:20 p.m.
Police say both incidents appear unrelated to each other.
delaware, hazmat, wilmington, local/state
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 20 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist 49 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 41 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 5 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
5 min ago