Officer credited with saving man in burning home
NEW CASTLE, Del. - February 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- New Castle County police say one of their officers helped save a 69-year-old man who fell down some stairs while trying to flee his burning home.
A police statement says Keither Sydnor was the first officer to arrive at the Overview Gardens community around 3:18 a.m. Tuesday and saw the second floor engulfed in flames and the man's wife on the lawn screaming that her husband was still inside.
Police say Sydnor entered the home and found the man unconscious on the living room floor. Police say Sydnor, with the help of the victim's nephew and his neighbor, carried the man safely from the home.
Authorities say the man, who wasn't identified, was in stable condition at Christian Hospital for treatment of a head injury.
The fire remains under investigation.
delaware, fire, rescue, local/state
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains 39 min ago
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington 59 min ago
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA...
39 min ago