Danza back in Philly to host fundraiser for school
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - February 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- Actor Tony Danza says he's disheartened by the reality of major budget cuts this year in the district of a Philadelphia high school where he starred in a reality TV show.
To help, Danza hosted a fundraising talent show at Northeast High School on Thursday evening. He previously spent a year as an English instructor there for the A&E program "Teach."
District officials are facing a $715 million deficit and have cut hundreds of positions and many programs. They must still cut nearly $39 million by June.
Danza starred in sitcoms including "Taxi" and "Who's The Boss." He says education cutbacks send "a message to the kids that they really don't matter."
Northeast Principal Linda Carroll hopes event proceeds will help offset cuts made to dozens of extracurricular clubs.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 1 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad