A taste of Spain without leaving Center City
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - February 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Spain is world-famous for its agricultural products, but if you can't visit, you can get an authentic taste without leaving Center City.
Marcie Turney and Valerie Safran own a number of restaurants in the 13th and Sansom area. Their latest, Jamonera, offers a menu built around Spain's jamon iberica baellato...ham from Iberian pigs fed only acorns.
The meat, when processed, literally melts in your mouth. A "jamonera", by the way, is the special rack which holds the ham.
This ham is one of the world's most costly, retailing for $70 per pound or more...often over $1000, if you could even find it.
Jamonera also offers a selection of salads and tapas, Spain's famous small plates good for sharing or enjoying by yourself.
The bar is stocked with Spanish vermouth and a selection of more than two dozen Sherries, from light and crisp to rich and syrupy.
The decor was inspired by a single image from a New York artist. It depicts a scene from the opera, "Carmen", which is set in Seville.
Jamonera is open nightly for dinner and drinks at 5:00pm. It's at 105 S. 13th Street in Center City.For more information, http://jamonerarestaurant.com/jamonera Jamonera or phone 215-922-6061.
food, spain, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in Lawrence, N.J. 9 min ago
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church 43 min ago
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos
- NASA: Space station may have bad valve 26 min ago
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Photos: Top Holiday Tech Gifts 2013!
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in...
9 min ago