12 jurors seated for Philly priest sex abuse trial
PHILADELPHIA - February 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- An assistant restaurant manager has become the 12th juror seated in the landmark case about how the Archdiocese of Philadelphia dealt with priests accused of molesting children.
The 12th juror was chosen Wednesday. The six men and six women are expected to hear evidence for about four months. Ten alternates will also sit through the trial.
Monsignor William Lynn is accused of endangering children by transferring two accused priests to new parishes. The 61-year-old Lynn has pleaded not guilty and blames the late Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua for hiding the problem.
The Rev. James Brennan and defrocked priest Edward Avery are charged with rape.
Brennan seems to be enjoying the jury selection process, frequently laughing along with lawyers. Lynn has been mostly somber.
Testimony is set to start March 26.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, child sex assault, church abuse, local/state
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 4 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- 4 alarm fire burns at motel in Berks County
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
4 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos