Haverford burglaries part of organized ring
HAVERFORD TWP., Pa. - February 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Haverford Township, Delaware County has been ground zero for home burglaries with more than 20 of them since December.
The latest one was Tuesday night in the 2400 block of Linden Drive.
"I think he was still here when we pulled up," said Mary Bergan.
Mary Bergan and her husband came home one night recently to find their Haverford home had been broken into through the rear door. The burglar ran out of another door to escape. He had been up in her bedroom stealing jewelry.
"I lost a ring that was my mother's," said Bergan. "That really hurts."
The Bergans were victims in a string of break-ins for small quick sale items like jewelry and electronics.
Police believe an organized group is responsible.
The latest hit was Tuesday night in the 2400 block of Linden Drive. A 16 year old came home around 5:30pm to find a man in his living room talking on a cell phone.
Police have a sketch of what the suspect may look like.
"He asked the guy 'what he was doing here?' And the guy said something like, 'I just got out of jail. I ain't looking for trouble'," said Haverford Police Chief John Viola.
Police say the man fits the description of men seen in a rash of more than a dozen burglaries dating back to December.
Police say the suspects have been seen fleeing in a gold Mercury Marquis from the late 90's or early 2000.
"Some are through unlocked doors, unlocked windows and some with back doors open, but a lot of these cases are with unlocked doors, and the burglars are just walking right in," said Chief Viola.
Police in Lower Merion are also looking for those suspects who may be driving that gold-colored Mercury Marquis.
There have been 6 break-ins since the first of the year from Bala Cynwyd, Penn Wynne, all the way to Villanova and Gladwyne.
Mary Bergan is still shook up.
Police say the suspects have been using the City Line Avenue corridor, north and south, as their main route of escape.
burglary, haverford township, pennsylvania, local/state, vernon odom
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in Lawrence, N.J. 16 min ago
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- On video: serial smash-and-grab burglar in action
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- DA: Charges coming in death of NYC student 1 min ago
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees 48 min ago
- DA: Charges coming in death of NYC student
1 min ago
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in...
16 min ago