Action News viewer donates wheelchair to victim
WEST PHILADELPHIA - March 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- It was seven years ago when Juama Smith of Southwest Philadelphia all but lost the use of his legs after he was mugged and shot in the back a block away from his home.
His ticket to independent living came in the form of a $5,000 motorized wheelchair that was paid for through Medicaid.
Juama's cousin, Lamont Smith, says that wheelchair made all the difference.
"Anything that's wheelchair accessible, he gets around on his own, he travels on SEPTA on his own, and without his chair he's like pretty much a prisoner in his own home," Smith said.
Over the weekend, Juama went to visit family a few blocks awayand left the wheelchair outside because it was too big to get thru the front-door.
But when Juama decided to go home, he went outside to discover his wheelchair had been stolen.
His story aired on Action News at 11 on Sunday.
Felicia Warwick of West Philadelphia was watching.
When she heard there was no way Juama could afford to replace it on his own, Felicia decided to reach out to the Smith family and donate the motorized wheelchair owned by her loving husband Raymond who passed away last year.
Felicia said Raymond never used the chair that much, only to go to the porch.
"After I seen the story on Channel 6, I say it could go to good use," Felicia said.
And so, less than 24 hours after the robbery, members of the Smith family picked up the motorized chair and delivered it to Juama who was simply overwhelmed.
"Thank you all for that, I appreciate it," an emotional Juama said.
"It's more than words can describe," Lamont said.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, theft, southwest philadelphia, local/state, walter perez
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives 46 min ago
- Snow will turn the ground white again! 37 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire 47 min ago
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 22 min ago
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia 48 min ago
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in 18 min ago
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees 54 min ago
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
37 min ago
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
47 min ago
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
48 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
22 min ago