Chester Co. standoff ends, man found dead
DOWNINGTOWN, Pa. - March 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- One man is dead after a three-hour standoff at a home in Chester County.
The standoff ended around 6:30 p.m.
When police entered the home, they found the man who had barricaded himself in the residence dead.
He has been identified as Jerry Redden.
Authorities have not released the cause of Redden's death.
It was just after 3:00 p.m. Monday when police went to the home on Brighton Court in the Wedgewood Estates in Caln Township near Downingtown.
That location is right off Business Route 30.
The view from Chopper 6 HD showed armed police officers outside the door of one of 61 Brighton Court.
It all began when officers tried to make contact with a man in a residence on Brighton Court. At that time, police say, the man refused to open his door and barricaded himself inside.
A news release from Caln Township Police went on to say:
"Law enforcement officials immediately took a defensive position and attempted to establish voice contact with the subject. Additional officers were called to the incident location to establish a safe perimeter while negotiators were assembled to talk the subject from the Brighton Court residence."
The people who live in the development were told to stay indoors. Nearby Colonial Hyundai was put on lockdown.
Find out about Breaking News as it happens. Sign up for 6abc.com Breaking News Alerts.
pennsylvania, chester county, standoff, local/state
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex
- Western Pa. school reopens after stabbings
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot 56 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 41 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos