John Rawlins takes a spin in a supercar
WEST CHESTER, Pa. - March 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's not your father's Oldsmobile.
Let us introduce you to the McLaren MP4-12C, a new British built 592 horsepower supercar.
Yes, a supercar and yes, it costs $230,000.
A regular car might go zero to sixty in 7 or 8 seconds, the McLaren does that in 3.
Robert DiStanislao is the man behind Mclaren of Philadelphia, one of only nine dealers in the US - and yes, they are selling.
"There is a lot of quiet wealth in Philadelphia," DiStanislao said.
So who is quietly dropping by this dealership in West Chester buying quarter-of-a-million dollar cars?
They have a hefty income, have a need for speed and impressed by the cars race bred safety systems.
"The first 20 orders that we took, it's important to understand that six of those buyers were orthopedic surgeons; the very first delivery was to an orthopedic surgeon," DiStanislao said.
So what is it like to drive?
I can answer that.
First, you are nervous about crashing the most expensive car you have ever been in.
Then you relax and try to resist finding out zero to sixty in 3 seconds feels like and then fantasize convincing your wife we really could sell the house and live in our car provided it's this car and then you return to earth and the dealership.
Auto giants like Toyota and GM build millions of cars a year.
McLaren plans to build 1,000.
There will be about 40 on sale at West Chester.
So if you pick one up, you will probably be the only one in your neighborhood, unless you live in a very fancy neighborhood.
pennsylvania, west chester, local/state, john rawlins
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- Splendid spring finale
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Desmond's slam leads Nats over Phillies