Battle of wits: Delco Hi-Q Contest 2012
MEDIA, Pa. - March 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- Even without the final question, the team from Garnet Valley High School had enough points to earn the top spot at the 64th Delco Hi-Q Championship Contest held at Penncrest High School in Media.
"The math question, even though it didn't matter because we had already clinched it, I was still a little nervous," said Garnet Valley junior Brian Gross.
"We knew Penncrest and Delco Christian would be coming in hard, so we just studied a lot. It's awesome," said Garnet Valley senior Bryan Fox.
The defending champs squeezed out a win over the host team, Penncrest, which took second and Delaware County Christian School which finished in third in the quiz competition.
"I think we were as prepared as we could have been," said Delaware Co. Christian School sophomore Victoria Kravets. "We worked really hard for it, and we did our best."
"It went pretty well," said Penncrest High School senior Andy Kaiden. "We missed some stuff in the first half, you can't miss that stuff. It's really gettable. "
21 Delaware County high schools compete three times each year. From there, the top scorer gets the honor of hosting. This year that was Penncrest.
The two other schools won their spots through semi-final wins. Preparation is extensive. The students must brush up on a wide range of topics.
"They have to study everything from art history, sports, literature, world history, math. These teams really prepare for that," said Delco Hi-Q director Rick Durante.
"I've talked to previous Hi-Q people," he continued. "They said it really prepares you for college because you learn how to study an enormous amount of information."
This was the 26th championship appearance by Penncrest, making Delco Hi-Q history.
The Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union and Delaware County Intermediate Unit present this contest, which organizers say is the nation's oldest continuous academic quiz competition.
Meantime, the next stop for Garnet Valley is the national championships. They will compete online against teams from Washington, Wisconsin, and Alabama.
pennsylvania, teens, delaware county, local/state, katherine scott
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del. 45 min ago
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark,...
45 min ago