Suspect sketch released in Upper Darby lurings
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - March 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- Upper Darby police have released a sketch of man wanted in the recent attempted luring cases that have occurred in the area.
The sketch is based on the account of one of the victims. Police say it varies from earlier descriptions of the suspect.
The release of the sketch comes after a fifth victim came forward late last night.
An 18-year-old girl says she saw a man pull up in a bluish-green van at the corner of Huey Avenue and Windamere Road on Monday afternoon. The teen, who attends Upper Darby High School, says the man made eye contact with her, then he looked at his lap, and it was then that the teen realized he was engaged in a lewd act.
Police have no doubt it was the same man who has been on the prowl for two and a half weeks.
Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood tells Action News, "These individuals are sick. They're not dealing with a straight deck. I mean, they truly, truly are predators. And with a sexual predator, based on my experience, they escalate their behavior."
Upper Darby now has five cases of a man preying on youngsters, and at times exposing himself, on the books since February 19th. Most are clustered around this latest reported incident across from the high school. A fifth happened in the Stonehurst section of the township.
The children who have been targeted are all teens, and each report seeing a man with graying facial hair, travelling in a bluish-green minivan.
Police and schools are getting the word out to parents to be on the lookout.
Drexel Hill Middle School is a short distance away from some of the reported locations. Cheryl Follo, a parent at the school, says, "I was just made aware of it yesterday, the school did notify us." When asked what she thought as a parent, Follo responded, "I think it's horrible, I think it's a disgrace. I really do. It's sad, and I hope they get him soon."
Police in Upper Darby are contacting other police departments in the region, comparing notes and seeing if there have been other incidents. In the meantime, Chief Chitwood hopes to offer a composite sketch of a suspect, and urges parents to talk to their children and have them use common sense when it comes to strangers.
upper darby, delaware county, pennsylvania, child luring, local/state
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run 33 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Video: President Obama impersonator meets the real... 56 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos