Pa. man gets 30 years in fatal hammer attack
READING, Pa. - March 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- A central Pennsylvania man was ordered to spend at least 30 years in prison for fatally beating a woman with a hammer and critically injuring her husband after being asked to fix a computer inside their home.
Thirty-seven-year-old Manuel Carrero Jr. was ordered Wednesday to spend up to six decades behind bars for the February 2011 attacks on 83-year-old Lucy Born and her 86-year-old husband, James.
Authorities say Carrero was visiting Spring Township, Berks County from Shippensburg when he attacked the couple after fixing their computer. The Borns knew Carrero through their son.
In return for a guilty plea, prosecutors promised not to charge Carrero with murder if James Born dies of injuries related to the attack.
The Reading Eagle reports Carrero has a history of mental illness.
Information from: Reading Eagle, http://www.readingeagle.com/
berks county, reading, sentencing, homicide, local/state
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill 43 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar