Ban on texting and driving takes effect in Pa.
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - March 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- Chronic texters beware: There's one more way for Pennsylvania to make you pay.
A ban on texting while driving is now in effect, carrying a $50 fine. The new law went into effect Thursday.
The new law pertains to phones, computers or other devices that can send texts, emails or similar messages. Police are not allowed to seize the devices when they write tickets.
Some law enforcement officials say the ban shouldn't be too difficult to enforce. Lansdowne Police Chief Daniel Kortan Jr. says texting drivers frequently look away from the road and drift out of their lanes.
Other local officials, including the mayor of Upper Darby, acknowledged enforcement can be tricky.
Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said his officers will be on the lookout for reckless driving. But he said in the event of an accident, authorities would check cell phone records to see if a text has been recently sent or received.
"If there's an accident, during the course of an accident, we can show causation factor would be then there would be charges more significant than texting," said Chitwood.
The new ban was the subject of a presentation Thursday in Upper Darby. Organizers handed out thumb bands. They say 'Live Long,' and they're a visual reminder for teens not to text behind the wheel.
Upper Darby High School students signed a pledge and slipped on the bands. But some believe the law should go further.
"I'll never text and drive and I think they should make it so you're not on the phone at all while driving," said junior Amy Schied.
A ban on handheld phone use was part of the bill passed over the summer by the state Senate but was removed before being passed by the House.
pennsylvania, texting, local/state
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking 23 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 4 min ago
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover 15 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall...
23 min ago