Cop shoots knife-wielding suspect at NJ mall
WOODBRIDGE, N.J. (AP) - March 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a man suspected of shoplifting and armed with a knife was shot and killed by a police officer inside a store at the Woodbridge Center shopping mall after taking a woman hostage.
James O'Neill, a spokesman for the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office, says the man was confronted by mall security in the clothing store about 5 p.m. Thursday because they suspected him of shoplifting.
O'Neill says the man then pulled out a knife and held it to another shopper's throat. A uniformed police officer working at the mall was called and confronted the man. When the man refused several police orders to drop the knife, O'Neill says the officer shot him.
The hostage was not seriously injured.
Authorities have not released the names of the man, the officer, or the hostage.
new jersey, shooting, shopping, police, local/state
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles 48 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- Video: Swan attacks elderly woman in Berks Co.
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade