Cop shoots knife-wielding suspect at NJ mall
WOODBRIDGE, N.J. (AP) - March 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a man suspected of shoplifting and armed with a knife was shot and killed by a police officer inside a store at the Woodbridge Center shopping mall after taking a woman hostage.
James O'Neill, a spokesman for the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office, says the man was confronted by mall security in the clothing store about 5 p.m. Thursday because they suspected him of shoplifting.
O'Neill says the man then pulled out a knife and held it to another shopper's throat. A uniformed police officer working at the mall was called and confronted the man. When the man refused several police orders to drop the knife, O'Neill says the officer shot him.
The hostage was not seriously injured.
Authorities have not released the names of the man, the officer, or the hostage.
new jersey, shooting, shopping, police, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lots of sun, chilly today 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 9 min ago
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly 56 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Video: Boy gets stuck in claw arcade game 4 min ago
- Boy gets stuck in claw arcade game
4 min ago
- Waitress types "B" word on customer's receipt
19 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos