Suspected kidnapper arrested in Bristol Borough
BRISTOL BOROUGH, Pa. - March 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Bristol Borough Police have apprehended a suspected kidnapper Friday.
Police arrested Luis Lopez at his home at 1213 Pine Grove after he allegedly grabbed two 9 year old girls late Friday on the 400 block of Washington Street. And they're not the only alleged victims.
More than a few folks are relieved this man is behind bars.
The two girls were on their way to a friend's house when they say Luis Lopez walked up and grabbed them by the necks.
Bristol Borough Police say 30 year old Luis Lopez is responsible for stalking and preying on several young girls including 9 year old Melanie Jo Capriotti and her friend 8 year old Mia Maldonado.
"I looked over at Mia, and I said, 'Oh my God Mia, he's following us,'" said Melanie.
The girls were walking on the 400 block of Washington Street around 2:30pm when they say Lopez ran up and tried to kidnap them.
"I heard footsteps running up and he grabbed me and my friend's necks, and he said you're coming with me," Melanie said.
"I didn't know what to do," said Mia. "I just like started screaming and running."
The girls broke free and ran to a nearby mailman. He recognized Lopez and was able to give police the information they needed to track him down within an hour of the incident.
Melanie Jo's father couldn't help but to think, what if?
"I always tell her to walk with her friends or with somebody, and you never expect it to be in your hometown," said Blair Capriotti.
After the attempted kidnapping, investigators got another report of Lopez following a 14 year old girl on Jefferson Avenue near the ball park.
"At least three days he followed her about and approached her today on her way to school. She got frightened and ran back home and stayed out of school today," Detective Randy Morris said.
Mia's mother hopes that if there are others they will come forward.
"If for some reason this man gets out and comes back to this area then something is bound to happen," said Amy Lordan, Mia's mother.
Police are investigating a possible fourth victim at this, but details have not been released.
Lopez was arraigned on attempted kidnapping and stalking charges. Bail has been set at $2 million cash.
kidnapping, bucks county, pennsylvania, local/state, kenneth moton
- Death toll lowered in Okla. twister; 24 dead 16 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- Delaware dumpster explosion leaves 1 injured 2 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- SUV crashes when dog gets stuck in steering wheel
- NJ ex-priest arrested after working with kids
- Larry Holmes wins round in Pa. parking dispute
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Death toll lowered in Okla. twister; 24 dead
16 min ago