Suspected kidnapper arrested in Bristol Borough
BRISTOL BOROUGH, Pa. - March 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Bristol Borough Police have apprehended a suspected kidnapper Friday.
Police arrested Luis Lopez at his home at 1213 Pine Grove after he allegedly grabbed two 9 year old girls late Friday on the 400 block of Washington Street. And they're not the only alleged victims.
More than a few folks are relieved this man is behind bars.
The two girls were on their way to a friend's house when they say Luis Lopez walked up and grabbed them by the necks.
Bristol Borough Police say 30 year old Luis Lopez is responsible for stalking and preying on several young girls including 9 year old Melanie Jo Capriotti and her friend 8 year old Mia Maldonado.
"I looked over at Mia, and I said, 'Oh my God Mia, he's following us,'" said Melanie.
The girls were walking on the 400 block of Washington Street around 2:30pm when they say Lopez ran up and tried to kidnap them.
"I heard footsteps running up and he grabbed me and my friend's necks, and he said you're coming with me," Melanie said.
"I didn't know what to do," said Mia. "I just like started screaming and running."
The girls broke free and ran to a nearby mailman. He recognized Lopez and was able to give police the information they needed to track him down within an hour of the incident.
Melanie Jo's father couldn't help but to think, what if?
"I always tell her to walk with her friends or with somebody, and you never expect it to be in your hometown," said Blair Capriotti.
After the attempted kidnapping, investigators got another report of Lopez following a 14 year old girl on Jefferson Avenue near the ball park.
"At least three days he followed her about and approached her today on her way to school. She got frightened and ran back home and stayed out of school today," Detective Randy Morris said.
Mia's mother hopes that if there are others they will come forward.
"If for some reason this man gets out and comes back to this area then something is bound to happen," said Amy Lordan, Mia's mother.
Police are investigating a possible fourth victim at this, but details have not been released.
Lopez was arraigned on attempted kidnapping and stalking charges. Bail has been set at $2 million cash.
kidnapping, bucks county, pennsylvania, local/state, kenneth moton
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Winter Warm Up 24 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home 18 min ago
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco 6 min ago
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast 57 min ago
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocks road in South Coatesville 52 min ago
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia 59 min ago
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del. 19 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Winter Warm Up
24 min ago
- Schools, daycares introduce yoga for kids
33 min ago
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast
57 min ago
- Higher blood pressure threshold OK in older...
51 min ago