Town watch formed in response to Upper Darby flasher
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - March 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- Mansfield Avenue is the kind of neighborhood where kids play basketball in the street and the homes and yards are kept neat and tidy.
It's also the kind of neighborhood where news about a man exposing himself or approaching and questioning children, as was reported nearby last week, makes residents like Brian Amato want to take action.
"It's my town; it's my responsibility as a homeowner. I wanted to do something for my community," Amato said.
Nearly two dozen neighbors gathered at the Amato home this afternoon to get an update from police, and to learn more about the formation of a neighborhood watch.
Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood told them police are following lots of leads, but that parents shouldn't feel their children aren't safe outside.
"We have somebody who's sick, a criminal and the potential for escalation based on my experiences, but I also don't want people to be afraid to walk out of their house or send children to school because that's not the case," Chitwood said.
Mayor Tom Micozzie encouraged neighbors to take an active role in keeping their community safe.
"Our message here tonight is to continue to keep involved in the town watch for a multitude of issues that happen on a daily basis," Micozzie said.
The neighbors received flyers with a composite sketch of the suspect the children described as a heavy-set white man in his 50s with brown hair and a salt-and-pepper beard who drove a blue or green minivan.
upper darby, delaware county, pennsylvania, child luring, local/state, amy buckman
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 10 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 44 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 52 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
44 min ago