Voting on horizon for photo ID bill
CENTER CITY - March 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- The debate continues in Harrisburg over a proposed bill to require almost all voters to present a photo ID every time they vote.
Strawberry Mansion resident Perlene Glenn says thumbs down on the Pennsylvania Republican plan to require a photo ID every time a person goes to the polls. She says too many people in her North Philadelphia community don't have picture IDs.
"I think it's thousands of people that don't have a picture ID," Glenn said.
Across the nation, this year Republican-controlled statehouses like Pennsylvania's are pushing through these picture ID laws, allegedly to prevent voter fraud, but Democrats say this is a transparent move to suppress the votes of groups that normally vote Democrat.
Republicans deny it.
"We're not trying to lock out anyone. I'm trying to make sure that everyone who shows up at a polling place is the person who says that they are," GOP lawyer Linda Kerns said.
Those most likely to vote for President Obama and the Democrats may not be the specific targets of the ID laws but activists like the ACLU, NAACP, and Committee of 70 say the laws will impact those groups the most.
"Groups like senior citizens, minority groups, low income voters, disabled voters, and young students," Ellen Kaplan of the Committee of 70 said.
The ACLU is planning to mount a legal challenge to the new Pennsylvania law, claiming it's unconstitutional and will potentially disenfranchise tens of thousands of voters in this highly competitive swing state this fall.
The vote for the proposed bill was supposed to come tonight but has now been put off until tomorrow.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state, vernon odom
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote 38 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 50 min ago
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
50 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos