Deer charges through Quakertown home
QUAKERTOWN, Pa. - March 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- One look inside one Quakertown house, and you'd think it was ransacked by burglars, or hit by a tornado, but that was not what happened.
A deer jumped through a window of the house, and proceeded to run amok. The results aren't pretty.
Pete Lazur is still trying to wrap his head around what happened inside his Quakertown home Wednesday afternoon.
"A deer went through my window," said Lazur."
Then it went through his living room, his dining room, and his kitchen. And Pete wasn't even home when it happened.
"I got a call at work, and I thought that someone was just messing around with me, but after I got through the conversation, I realized that there was police everywhere. So I took off and came home and found a bunch of people out in the front," said Lazur.
Those people were neighbors, local police, and officials from the Game Commission who went inside to find the animal collapsed in the living room and bleeding badly.
"It had to be euthanized," said Officer Rick Macklen. "The injuries it sustained from jumping through the window were so bad, it would never have survived. It was actually laying in there suffering."
So why do we often hear of stories about deer like these wandering or jumping into homes and businesses?
Officials from the Game Commission say there is no one reason.
Sometimes they are injured or ill and disoriented, sometimes they are startled, other times they are just curious.
One of Pete's neighbors, Marie Strecker saw the whole thing happen.
She says in this case, the one year old doe seemed to panic after nearly the entire neighborhood came outside to watch the animal running around their yards.
"It jumped right through their window, got stuck a little, and then just went inside the house, and then you just heard glass breaking. It was absolutely crazy," said Strecker.
And Pete Lazur says "crazy" is right!
"Broken glass, destroyed carpet; destroyed everywhere," said Pete. "It was not as bad as it could have been, but it was bad enough."
quakertown, bucks county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 13 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Video: Would-be firebomber sets self on fire