Police: Woman scammed elderly man of $38,000
WHITPAIN TWP., Pa. - March 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are asking for the public's help in finding a 22-year-old woman who allegedly scammed an 89-year-old man out of $38,000.
Tiffany Mitchell, of the 900 block of North Penn Street in Philadelphia, is accused of befriending the victim, a man who lives in Whitpain Township, Montgomery County.
According to police, Mitchell told the victim she needed a kidney transplant and, when she claimed to have complications, the man began giving her money.
Mitchell also allegedly convinced the victim to take out a loan to buy a 2011 Mercedes worth $60,000.
Last fall, police ordered Mitchell to turn herself in and surrender the car. On November 4th, a tow truck arrived at the Whitpain police station with the Mercedes.
Mitchell, however, remains at large. A warrant issued for her arrest charges her with theft by unlawful taking, theft by deception, receiving stolen property and disorderly conduct.
Anyone with information on Mitchell's whereabouts is asked to call the Whitpain Township Police Department detective division at 610-279-9033.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, montgomery county, scam, local/state
- At least 11 hurt in East Harlem building explosion 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 56 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money 33 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak...
5 min ago
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New...
1 min ago