Police: Woman scammed elderly man of $38,000
WHITPAIN TWP., Pa. - March 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are asking for the public's help in finding a 22-year-old woman who allegedly scammed an 89-year-old man out of $38,000.
Tiffany Mitchell, of the 900 block of North Penn Street in Philadelphia, is accused of befriending the victim, a man who lives in Whitpain Township, Montgomery County.
According to police, Mitchell told the victim she needed a kidney transplant and, when she claimed to have complications, the man began giving her money.
Mitchell also allegedly convinced the victim to take out a loan to buy a 2011 Mercedes worth $60,000.
Last fall, police ordered Mitchell to turn herself in and surrender the car. On November 4th, a tow truck arrived at the Whitpain police station with the Mercedes.
Mitchell, however, remains at large. A warrant issued for her arrest charges her with theft by unlawful taking, theft by deception, receiving stolen property and disorderly conduct.
Anyone with information on Mitchell's whereabouts is asked to call the Whitpain Township Police Department detective division at 610-279-9033.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, montgomery county, scam, local/state
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 4 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm 38 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 37 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 44 min ago
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in...
24 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
37 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos