3 men charged in Del. cyber sex sting
DOVER, Del. - March 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- Three local men were indicted for allegedly having on-line sexual contact with minors.
The minors, it turned out, were actually Homeland Security agents who set up a cyber sting.
One of the men, Jeffrey Darlin is a 55-year-old building manager at Swarthmore Presbyterian Church and authorities say he used a computer in the church office.
Stanley Morris, the second man charged, is a 38-year-old pizza delivery person from Maryland.
The third suspect, Scott Rupert is a convicted sex offender from Pottstown.
Police say he got caught in a similar sting back in 2006 when he was on Navy active duty in Virginia.
Prosecutors say the men repeatedly contacted a fictitious chat room, where undercover agents were posing as 14-year-old girls willing to meet in person for sex.
"They have that desire and they need to fulfill it," said Kelleghan.
The suspects allegedly e-mailed pictures of their private parts and carried on lewd behavior in the chat room.
Homeland Security agents say a park near Wilmington is where all three suspects agreed to meet the supposed teenager.
"These are the worst of the worst because they are the ones who aren't just trading images online, they're the ones that want to go out and touch kids," said Kellegan.
Agents recorded dozens of conversations with each suspect to make their case airtight.
Homeland Security, largely viewed as an anti-terrorism agency focuses on internet predators because much of the disturbing material they exchange goes overseas and back on the web.
The explosion of cyberspace has fueled the sickening growth of child sex crimes.
"These guys are predators, there's no doubt about it. They are predators who are swimming around the internet looking for vulnerable kids," said Kelleghan.
delaware, sex offenders, local/state, vernon odom
- Suspects sought in carjacking, abduction 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Pedestrian struck, killed on Broad Street 2 min ago
- 4 shot outside Del. club after Meek Mill performance
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist 22 min ago
- Cab driver shot outside N. Phila. after-hours club 23 min ago
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary 8 min ago
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice 52 min ago
- Cab driver shot outside N. Phila....
23 min ago