NJ man convicted in neighbor's shooting death
TOMS RIVER, N.J. (AP) - March 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- A southern New Jersey man accused of shooting his neighbor two years ago during an argument over their marijuana growing operation has been convicted of aggravated manslaughter and various drug charges.
But an Ocean County jury acquitted 61-one-year-old Jay Goldberg of Little Egg Harbor Township of murder in a verdict returned late Friday afternoon.
Prosecutors claimed Goldberg purposely shot 40-year-old Sarkis Shainian as they argued in Goldberg's home, where the drug production facility was based.
But defense lawyers said Goldberg had acted in self-defense after a drunk and belligerent Shahinian showed up at the residence in the middle of night in April 2009.
Goldberg, who also was convicted on a weapons offense, faces up to 50 years in prison when he's sentenced in May.
new jersey, ocean county, shooting, drugs, local/state
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 10 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 29 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 1 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
1 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos