Bicyclist struck in DUI related hit-and-run
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - March 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- A driver is facing DUI and other charges after police say she struck a bicyclist in North Philadelphia then fled the scene.
A 22-year old Temple student's in critical but stable condition from a hit and run accident in North Philadelphia.
Police have the driver in custody.
It happened just before 7:00am at the intersection of 30th and Diamond Streets in North Philadelphia.
Witnesses say it was horrible.
"It was very disturbing and very sad," said one witness.
Parts of the students bicycle remained in the roadway late Saturday afternoon as police continue to investigate.
Police and witnesses say the student was struck by a woman driving a 2000 Suzuki Esteem travelling east on Diamond.
"He went up in the air, the bike tire landed over there and the rest of the bike was under the car," said Vernon Roberson.
According to Roberson the bike was in pieces.
"I heard a loud bang at 30th & Diamond," said Sharon Polite. "So I walked towards the accident, and I saw a man laying in the street and a car pulling off; just left him laying there, a young Temple student."
Sharon Polite snapped photos of the victim as he was being treated by paramedics on the scene.
"He was disoriented, and I helped him up and he sat against the gate. We called the ambulance and the ambulance came and got him," said Polite.
Vernon Roberson says he ran and tried to get the license tag on the fleeing vehicle, but it was going too fast.
Fortunately officers were nearby and were able to catch the woman driver, who they say was driving under the influence.
Police caught up with the 2000 Suzuki Esteem a few blocks away at the intersection of 19th and York Streets.
The driver has been identified as 24 year old Lenaye Jones of the 100 block of West Sylvania Street.
The victim remains in stable but critical condition at Temple University hospital.
Residents are upset the woman kept driving and failed to render aid.
"They just kept going, and it's senseless," said Tequita Legrand. "How could you do that to someone and not stop?"
"I mean, I wouldn't do that to a dog, that was horrible," Polite said.
The suspect, Lenaye Jones faces serious charges including fleeing the scene of an accident with injuries, DUI and related offenses.
She is awaiting a preliminary hearing.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, north philadelphia, hit and run, accident, DUI, local/state, dann cuellar
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 12 min ago
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia 29 min ago
- Doors smashed in 2 Prices Corner store burglaries
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 14 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila. 33 min ago
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
7 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
14 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N....
33 min ago