Bicyclist struck in DUI related hit-and-run
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - March 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- A driver is facing DUI and other charges after police say she struck a bicyclist in North Philadelphia then fled the scene.
A 22-year old Temple student's in critical but stable condition from a hit and run accident in North Philadelphia.
Police have the driver in custody.
It happened just before 7:00am at the intersection of 30th and Diamond Streets in North Philadelphia.
Witnesses say it was horrible.
"It was very disturbing and very sad," said one witness.
Parts of the students bicycle remained in the roadway late Saturday afternoon as police continue to investigate.
Police and witnesses say the student was struck by a woman driving a 2000 Suzuki Esteem travelling east on Diamond.
"He went up in the air, the bike tire landed over there and the rest of the bike was under the car," said Vernon Roberson.
According to Roberson the bike was in pieces.
"I heard a loud bang at 30th & Diamond," said Sharon Polite. "So I walked towards the accident, and I saw a man laying in the street and a car pulling off; just left him laying there, a young Temple student."
Sharon Polite snapped photos of the victim as he was being treated by paramedics on the scene.
"He was disoriented, and I helped him up and he sat against the gate. We called the ambulance and the ambulance came and got him," said Polite.
Vernon Roberson says he ran and tried to get the license tag on the fleeing vehicle, but it was going too fast.
Fortunately officers were nearby and were able to catch the woman driver, who they say was driving under the influence.
Police caught up with the 2000 Suzuki Esteem a few blocks away at the intersection of 19th and York Streets.
The driver has been identified as 24 year old Lenaye Jones of the 100 block of West Sylvania Street.
The victim remains in stable but critical condition at Temple University hospital.
Residents are upset the woman kept driving and failed to render aid.
"They just kept going, and it's senseless," said Tequita Legrand. "How could you do that to someone and not stop?"
"I mean, I wouldn't do that to a dog, that was horrible," Polite said.
The suspect, Lenaye Jones faces serious charges including fleeing the scene of an accident with injuries, DUI and related offenses.
She is awaiting a preliminary hearing.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, north philadelphia, hit and run, accident, DUI, local/state, dann cuellar
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Delco girl still awaiting transplant 18-months later
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Neighbor rescues woman in West Oak Lane fire
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; hundreds rescued
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore